During the summer, I bought this binding gadget believing the line that it was a quick way to make binding.
I was impressed that it had 3 different slots for 3 different sizes of binding – 2 1/4″ up to 2 3/4″ in width.
The gadget looked promising but when I tried it out, I was sorely disappointed.
I had to fold the fabric before it went through the slot and then you had to keep
checking that it was folded equally on both sides. So, what a waste of time and money!!
While I was playing with my new binding gadget, I made enough binding for 2 quilts:
a cute baby quilt and the Cathedral Stars quilt, pattern by Bonnie Hunter.
This panel came from Fabricland-yes, I can feel the shudders coming from you all!
I think it is cute. What about you?
What is a baby boy quilt without a fire truck?
Here is the Cathedral Stars quilt-all done.
Due to time restraints, I did a panto but it wasn’t that quick
due to its immense size. I think 90″ x 90″. I decided to use a So Fine golden thread-as it
blends well with all the different shades of brown, cream, red and gold. On the backing,
I think I used the same thread too.
“Quirky” was the name of the pantograph I used due to its cirucular shape. So many
points and square shapes within the piecing that I thought it could use something
circular quilted onto it.
This next quilt was pieced by Helen. It is even more massive than my own: 120″ x 109″. Whew!
That was one BIG quilt! Helen wanted a pantograph named “Flirtatous” but didn’t like the
size in relation to how big her quilt was. So, off to Staples I went and enlarged it. It took
me a while to figure out the pattern due to its enlarged size but in the end it turned out well.
I think that the original pattern was maybe 12″ in width and I enlarged it to 22″ in width, so it
is quite bigger. Hoping that she likes it.
I used a variegated thread on top-Sticks and Stones. For the backing, she chose black to
match the color of the backing but what a nightmare for me. It is difficult on a good day
to get the tension just right but when you have black thread on the back and a lighter on
the top-well, some issues arise.
So, please consider that when you are thinking of the fabric and color for your backings.
There is an upcoming quilt show this weekend and I am trying to finish this wallhanging.
This has been hanging around my house for several years now and finally it is almost done.
I love the fact that there are different 3D embellishments within this walllhanging.
For instance, I love the buttons on this snowman. I just realized that he is blind and is
missing his eyes. And the owl is pretty cool too.
And, of course, I love the bells on the horse but don’t ask me what the bells are attached to
on the horse.
And I love snowflakes too. These are crocheted-by me and have a little bit of silver sparkles
on them. While they were drying I added some to make them more shiny. And there are
some crystalson the wallhanging too. A little bit of bling never hurt anyone.
I will try to get some photos of the Quilt Show for you too.
7 thoughts on “A quick quilt binding tool?”
Very cute Christmas wallhanging. Love Mr. Snowman.
HI, Thanks for your encouraging words.
I’m glad to hear about your experience with the binding tool. I couldn’t figure out how they really worked! Not so well, I guess. 😉 Happy quilting!
Great info on the binding too….I love your projects!! the little boy quilt is so darling, the cathedral star is fantastic! And the massive one….lol. Each one is lovely.
Thanks for your encouraging comments.
Wow, there is a lot going on! That baby quilt is just adorable – these panels make great quick quilt that can be used and abused by the recipient without breaking our hearts.
Congrats on the Cathedral Star, I like your choice of panto.
I managed this summer to put a light backing on a quilt that needs dark stitching – didn’t even try to put a different colour into the bobbin. Unfortunately it makes for stressful quilting……
Your winter quilt will be very nice, those crocheted snowflakes are a great touch.
Your finishes are beautiful!!!