Arlene brought me this wallhanging a while back. I think she
was preparing for the summer and heading up to her cottage.
It seems fairly easy to create. Each block has a black
background. All the other pieces are fused onto the black
background and the edges stitched around. You can use
either a straight stitch or a zigzag stitch. You can also use
a matching thread for each color or a monfilament thread to
stitch around the shapes. You can also use a monofilament
thread in the bobbin but it shouldn’t be a full bobbin. I have
heard that it is not good for your machine to use a full
bobbin of monofilament thread-just a half of a bobbin.
If you use a monofilament thread, please remember to use a
the clear monfilament for the light colors and a smoky
monofilament thread for the darker colors. The size
of the monofilament thread is the size of one strand of
hair. I use monofilament all the time and sometimes
you have to loosen the top tension so it doesn’t stretch.
I also wouldn’t recommend it for baby or children’s
quilts either. They may get tangled in it and it is hard
to see, especially if you are not a quilter and don’t know
that it is there.
Arlene did a lovely job with this wallhanging. I used a black
polyester thread for the top and the back. The monofilament
was used in the colored square border so that I didn’t have
to change thread color constantly.
When I quilted it, I stitched around all the shapes in a black
thread so that the thread wouldn’t be noticeable. This helps
the shapes and images to pop out a little.
And I stitched around the colored border but not in the black
outer border. I felt that the pictures were the focal point of this
wallhanging and anything in the border might detract from that.
The border wasn’t that big anyways so you can get away with no
quilting in it, in this case.
I really like these flames. The batiks are so cool.
I forgot to take a picture of the backing but I think
that it was a black color as well.
Hope you are having a great March Break.