Although Quilt Market has been over for almost a month now, I still
have several quilts to show you. I will try to fit the remainder of
the quilts in this post.
Patti Carey made this runner; she wanted alot of quilting and she really
likes Angela Walter’s style of quilting, so that is the look I went for.
Negative space usually freaks me out but I dove in on this one.
Looking back, I would quilt it differently now but every quilt
teaches you something and builds your confidence level.
In the blue sections, I quilted 2 different motifs. They are hard to see here
but one consists of tight swirls and the other was teardrops. I used a blue
40 weight variegated So Fine thread for this section.
In the white negative space, another Angela Walter’s design. Large
swirls that are surrounded by teardrops that are echoed.
Between the white area and the blue runner, I quilted in matchsticks.
I love those things but they do take time to quilt in. And a little
bit of a zig zag was added for interest.
The backing looks so cool too. I love the texture on the back.
This quilt looks so intricate in its piecing but you will be pleasantly
surprised to know that the French Braid seen here is actually made
up of 2 strips of fabric. Each braid is actually 2 strips of fabric, cut
apart and sewn together with another strip of the same fabric. Isn’t that cool?
It makes a quilt come together even more quickly now and less time
In the French Braids, I SID around all the color sections.
I used a monofilament thread for the ditch work so that I
didn’t have to keep changing thread colors and it almost
disappears in the fabric.
In the circles, in the outside border, I used a Judi Madsen
design but changed it up a bit. It looks like an orange peel but
more straight lines or modern looking.
In the yellow area, in the border, I again followed
Angela Walters and stitched a squiggle on a diagonal. It
almost looks like flames to me.
This is what the backing looks like. Pretty funky and fun
This is a very classy looking quilt. I wasn’t quite sure what to
do with it but feathers came to mind. I wanted to keep the stopping
and starting to a minimum so I decided to carry the feathers around
the blocks on the diagonal.
Here is a close up of the inside of each square. I used a brown 40 weight
thread in the blue section. It show up nicely. I quilted 1/4″ inside the
square and then divided into fourths and then stitched the curved lines. There
were 52 of these squares so it took a while to complete.
Borders are one area that I struggle with but I think that I am improving
somewhat. In this border, I continued the shape of the circles in the center
of the blocks and quilted in the same design. I think that it works well.
I call this the Tile Quilt, although that is not its real or official name.
But when I looked at this quilt, that is what it reminded me of. So, I tried to
keep the quilting simple so that the piecing would be shown off.
In the large blocks, I quilted in 2 straight lines to show off the block itself
and in the middle square, I used an old pattern I have called Chantilly Lace by
Norma Sharp. I traced the design onto paper, laid it on the quilt, increased by
stitches per inch and quilted out the design.
In the larger blocks, I used the same design but it was changed up a little.
Here is the border of this quilt. Chantilly Lace was used again but this time as
a repeat in the border. I did take off the quilt and reload it onto the frame again
when 2 of the border were done. It makes it easier to stitch in than constantly
rolling the quilt.
Here is what the backing looks like. You can see the brown thread showing
through but overall, not bad at all.
Thanks for bearing with me in this long post. Have a great week.