I hope that your special someone gave you a card or some
chocolate this week. Mind did-yeah!! If not, at least the
days are beginning to look a little brighter and longer.
Speaking of Valentine’s Day, here is a pink quilt that Eleanor is in love
with. And who can resist the cats? Eleanor was wondering what
color to use for her binding and her friend came up with this
clever idea. Why not use the left over pink and black fabric as
So, she made the binding in two different colors: black
and pink. She sewed the black binding onto the white section of
the quilt but didn’t sew it all down due to the fact that
she wouldn’t be able to guess where the pink binding and
the black would meet. Are you confused yet?
I will try to say it in a different way. She partially sewed the
black binding down onto the white corner. She left about
a 5’6 inch extra, to make joining easier later on.
Then, she sewed down the pink binding =partially. She left the ends open
and about 5-6 inches longer so that she could join them at the exact spot
where the black corner and white border met. She marked that spot on
her binding and then sewed them together. Notice that the binding is
sewn straight across and not on an angle, again easier to execute.
It looks so perfect and fantastic. Thought you might want to try that one out.
Susan made this adorable “African Queens” quilt. Pinterest is a source
of inspiration for Susan and I love to see how she tweeks the patterns
she likes, to make it her own.
Lovely batiks were used for the Queens’ dresses and head coverings.
Susan just wanted the Queen’s to be outlined, as it was a shame to
cover them up with stitching. Let their outfits shine through.
The offset border has an African feel to it as well.
I used a clear monofilament thread for the top and a dark
So Fine Brown thread for the back.
Pieced backings are great and what better way to use up all the
blocks left over.
A close up of the backing.
Linda made this darling pieced quilt. I can’t imagine the hours spent
making all those blocks.
A close up of the blocks in this quilt.
I used a light cream polyester thread for the top and navy blue
polyester thread for the backing.
The backing is really a navy blue but it looks more grey here than blue.
A panto called “Brocade” was stitched all across the top of the quilt.
I also managed to complete block #2, in the “Baby Animals”
BOM through Quilt Art Designs. Janeen is very talented when it comes to
The back of the block says it all. Lots of tearing and shredding to be
done later on. I enjoy paper piecing as it feels like a fabric puzzle to me.
Check out the Canadian site Needle and Thread Network.
Have a great week.