Afraid of feathers?

 

For two years now, I have been practicing feathers on paper  but I never had the courage to quilt them on customers’ quilts.

Well…   that changed this past week.

The local Guild has a charity quilt that needs to be done by mid April.  There are approximately 50 blocks in this quilt-it is massive!

Charity Quilt made by Local Guild

Charity Quilt made by Local Guild

I decided that I would try feathers and if I messed it up, I could always pick out the stitches later on.  Here goes….

Applique block with feathers

Applique block with feathers

The feathers  turned out ok, I think.  What about you?

Another feathered applique block

Another feathered applique block

Once I got started, I couldn’t stop.  Is there such a thing as “feather overboard?” Maybe it could be a new quilting term.

Feathers once again

Feathers once again

more feathers

more feathers

The lighting wasn’t the greatest in these last 2 photos-I do apologize for that.

On a different note, I did finish two small panel quilts for the local school fundraiser in June.

I couldn’t quilt one for a baby boy and not one for a baby girl.  These are what I bought and quilted up.

Panel boy quilt

Panel boy quilt

This panel is so cute..who could pass it up and not quilt it?

Panel girl's quilt

Panel girl’s quilt

Once again, who can pass up this panel?  I love the colors and the motifs on it.

My words of encouragement to you is “Try something you are afraid of”- you may be pleasantly surprised at what the results may be.

Ruth

My sewing machine is home again!

 

My domestic sewing machine has finally made its way home again.  A blown fuse was the culprit so it wasn’t too bad, although I did miss it while it was gone.

Do you remember the quilt that got away?  I thought that I had taken a photo of it but didn’t.  Well, I did have that quilt in my house and I did manage to get a photo for you.

Linda's Strippy Quilt

Linda’s Strippy Quilt

Here is Linda’s finished quilt.  She mentioned that she has done one of these for each of her children.  Can you believe that?  All those strips pieced together so precisely and kept so nice and straight too.  Again, the borders were square and flat.  That definitely makes my job easier. I SID  (stitched in the ditch) around all the strips and quilted a freehand design  in the border and sashing areas.

Carol also made a “modern quilt” for an upcoming charity fundraiser.  She had seen the pattern somewhere but didn’t have the chance to buy the pattern.  So, she designed the pattern herself and made the quilt!  Talented or what!?

Carol's "modern" quilt

Carol’s “modern” quilt

Because the quilt had a “modern” feel to it, Carol wanted some “modern” quilting.  So, I SID (stitched in the ditch) around all the strips and “pebbled”  around all the sashing and border pieces.

Pebbling on Carol's quilt

Pebbling on Carol’s quilt

All those  pebbles look pretty cool.

Pebbles  up close and personal

Pebbles up close and personal

 

As promised, I have 2 more small art quilts for you.  At this rate, I will have to finish those other 26.

Autumn Leaves

Autumn Leaves

Several of the leaves were created using Sulky’s Water Soluble stabilizer.  First, I drew a leaf pattern on the clear stabilizer and then stitched it to death with thread.  After all the leaf shape had been outlined with thread, I had to fill in the entire remaining area with thread.  If I remember correctly, the 2 yellow leaves, on the right and left sides, in the middle of the quilt, were created this way.  The other leaves were cut out and stitched on with a straight stitch around the entire leaf.  Dissolving the 2 leaves were interesting.  The stablizer dissolved but there was some gunk in the sink afterwards but it cleaned up ok.

Pumpkin quilt

Pumpkin quilt

This sad looking pumpkin was created using NeoColor Water Pastel Crayons.  Try saying that 10 times fast!

Before I used the crayons, this entire piece of fabric was white.  It truly was.

If you like to color, this is the project for you.  All you have to do, is color the entire piece of fabric into whatever design or pattern you like.

I ironed my fabric to a piece of freezer paper so that it would be somewhat stablized while I was cloring it.   Then I drew a pumpkin on the fabric, with an orange crayon.  After the leaves and sky were colored in, water was spritzed onto the fabric and allowed to dry.  I tried to quilt lines onto the pumpkin but it turned out looking more like  an onion than a pumpkin.

I fused 2 layers of green fabric for the leaves and then cut them out.  A piece of twine is used for the vine.  Voila!  My pumpkin is complete.

And on that note, I will give you a glimpse of what quilt is hanging around awaiting my finishing touches.

 Applique Quilt

Applique Quilt

Isn’t this one  a beauty?  Applique quilts are “my one weakness.”  Can you guess who said that quote or what series this came from?

I will let you know the answer next week and I will show you my completed art quilt for that upcoming competition I mentioned before.

Until next week,

Happy sewing.

Ruth

Charity Quilts Ready to go.

The past few weeks have been busy. A group from a local church is heading north to help bring supplies to an Indian Reserve. Northcott Silk, in Toronto, was very generous and donated 27 metres of flannel fabric. I managed to make 4 twin size quilts out of the material. Here are several photos of the twin size quilts that I made. I think that the kids will love how warm they are with the fleece being used as batting.  The fleece makes the quilts and the stitching quite puffy too.

Flannel fleece quilt

Flannel fleece quilt

Flannel Charity Quilt

Flannel Charity Quilt