Here are some more quilts that were completed before Christmas. Hope
you enjoy the show.
A huge quilt
Look at all the piecing! Wow! This quilt was also huge!
This is a close up of one of the blocks in the quilt. The overall quilting design comprised
Look at all the Flying Geese in the border area. Again, all the time it took to create
Another shot of the completed quilt. I used a bright orange polyester thread
for the top and the backing of the quilt.
Here is the back of the quilt. I love the deep orange color.
You can see the leaves on the back of the quilt.
Dara created this Canadian quilt; there were alot of these Canadiana quilts this
past year. Kind of makes me regret that I didn’t make one myself.
It was easy to choose a design: Maple Leaves. What could be more Canadian than that?
The backing shows off the Maple Leaves beautifully.
This quilt below was made by a very generous person. I quilted it up for a charity.
Another Canadian Quilt
Instead of Maple Leaves, I quilted in straight lines all over the top. I used a cream
polyester thread for the top and the backing.
The backing fabric kind of looks like candy canes, to me anyways. Why does fabric
seem to remind us quilters of food?
Too bad the fabric doesn’t smell like candy canes.
This is another quilt that was made by people all over Canada. The completed blocks
were sent into Quilt Canada and the tops were then put together. I quilted straight lines
all over this one too. It was quicker and I could manage to get it done on time.
A close up of the block. I really like all the colors in this quilt top.
The backing is flannel and the colors match the top perfectly.
Anne purchased this panel and was planning on giving it to someone special.
I stitched in the star lines because I noticed them after staring at the panel for
an hour or so.
I outlined the panel and added in some extra stitching.
I quilted in swirls in the green border; a lot of the stitching wouldn’t be
seen anyways so it was a good choice.
The backing is a really fun fabric; shimmering metallic snowflakes.
A close up of the metallic snowflakes fabric.
Another large coverlet also found its way onto my frame. I outlined the shapes on
The hardest part about quilting this fabric, is deciding what motifs to stitch around.
You have to make sure that the stitching is even and you have to find a
continuous line; you also have to make sure to stop and start really well so that
the stitches don’t come out later on.
The motifs are embroidered onto the fabric; I try to stitch around them as close as
I can. You would laugh at how fast I can stitch. Sometimes, I have to mentally tell
myself to slow down.
The back of the coverlet; it usually is a thin cotton or polyester fabric. The batting
inside is always a polyester so it puffs up somewhat when it is all done.
Anne also brought me this panel. I really like it, so vibrant with that black door.
Again, I outlined stitched around the whole panel. The door really stood out when
it was all done.
Some of the Poinsettas on the panel. Even the flowers stood out a little as well. It was
a really fun panel to work on.
The back of the panel shows off the stitching nicely. I used a monofilament thread to
go around all the flowers and the door. I used a black polyester thread to fill in the door and
a white polyester thread for the backing.
Hope you enjoyed the show. Check out The Needle and Thread Network.